Saturday, August 4, 2007

let's get it on



Nothing like pre-season football to make people excited for literally no good reason. I, of course, am one of them. The Steelers start things Sunday night against the New Orleans Saints (thus, officially ending my sense of goodwill towards that city). It is the Hall of Fame Game, marking the first time a Saint's been to Canton since Archie Manning (don't hold your breath, Bobby Hebert). More importantly, it's the beginning of Tomlin time in the 'Burgh. "I've sat in the backseat and passenger seat enough," Tomlin told the press about his debut as a head coach. Let's just hope there's an airbag on the driver's side.

Don't show up late, since the starters are expected to play the first quarter, then trade in their helmets for baseball caps. We should get a first taste of the new, pass happy offense the team's been hinting at throughout camp. We will not, however, get a first look at first round draft pick Lawrence Timmons. The rookie LB will sit it out with a groin injury. Between injuries in spring drills and training camp, he's managed to make all of two and a half days of practice. Now, I have a little management experience, and an absentee rate like that would concern me. However, I don't have the football seasoning of Coach Tomlin, who isn't sweating it yet. "He has a lot of ground to make up, but he has time to do it," the coach said. Interesting. I'll remember that the next time I skip out on two months worth of work.

I'm also looking forward to Sunday night's game, since it will mark the end of a working weekend. Yes, I'm working through the weekend. Even better, many of us have been required to come into the office, but the company was unwilling to pay to have the air conditioning turned on, so it's about 90 degrees in here (yes, I've had worse jobs -- working a jackhammer in the summer sun comes to mind -- but it still sucks). My personal form of protest is taking the time to grind out a blog entry while in the office. Not since the heyday of Public Enemy has The Man been so boldly challenged. Sweet hot mustard, I can't wait to make it to Sunday.

No comments: