Thursday, August 2, 2007

the homeland

I love the Pittsburgh Pirates.

There, I said it. It feels good to get that out there.
My dad used to take me to games at Three Rivers when I was a lad, pilgrimages that included staking out the players' entrance for hours waiting to get autographs (who knew Phil Garner drove a VW Rabbit?). These were the days of Dave Parker, Omar Moreno, John Candelaria, Jim Bibby, Kent Tekulve, and the final days of Willie Stargell's career (I actually remember him blasting a shot to the base of the right field wall, but moving so slow that he almost got thrown out at first). Later, I made a solo drive all the way across the state of PA to attend game 6 of the 1991 NLCS, only to see Andy Van Slyke watch strike three go by with the tying standing on third (in the form of Gary Varsho, of all people). And, since then, I've watched as the team has slid to... well... it's current state.

That childlike joy bubbles up when I go back to games back in the 'Burgh, and I felt it again when I went back last weekend to see the Bucs and the Astros. It was an amazing trip, courtesy of the Mrs (a belated birthday trip -- we tried earlier this year, but got rained out) complete with bobbleheads, fireworks and even a Pirates win (and how often does that happen?).
There are so many things that are totally great about -- yet in a weird way make me feel completely bad for -- the Pittsburgh Pirates:

- a mere 25 bucks gets you three rows off the field, sitting tightly on the first base line, secure in the knowledge that your taunts are loudly settling into the ears of the visiting right fielder
- the random "here we go Steelers" chants that get going during Pirates games
- the fact that the Pittsburgh sports legend whose jersey was repped more people in the crowd than any other was Steeler Jack Lambert
- the interest (bordering on fever) in the Pierogie Race... There was more crowd noise for Oliver Onion than for a number of the Pirates starters.
It is, of course, the Steelers town, so I'd be remiss if I didn't mention some key sightings (and the fact that I dined at Bettis' restaurant... with portions seemingly selected by the Bus himself). Friday night at Morton's, I sat next to Steelers Director of Football Operations Kevin Colbert. He declined my offer to take a special consulting role with the team, despite my years of standout work on SteelersNYC.com. And on Sunday morning, I ran into Max Starks on the street on his way to the gym. In case you had any doubt, 6'8", 337 lbs is a lot of fella... it looked like they took three of me and welded it together into one guy. No, I did not ask for a photo. I did, however, take photos of the following:

Yes, there is currently a display memorializing the Immaculate Reception in the Pittsburgh Airport. I don't know what took so long either.





















The glorious view of PNC Park from the Roberto Clemente Bridge... so beautiful, as long you're far enough away to not actually see the Pirates.





















Willie "Pops" Stargell in bronze... the statue is actually faster down the first base line than Willie was.





















As long as I was in the neighborhood, had to visit Heinz Field.

















Basking in the glow of a rare Pirates win.

No comments: