Monday, August 27, 2007

Sunday Night Steeler Thoughts

Some random notes, thoughts, and observations from last night's preseason game against the Eagles:

- Madden says he doesn't believe all the talk about the Steelers opening up the offense this season. Where was he when I was picking up Santonio Holmes in my fantasy draft?

- NBC goes to commercial teasing their interview with Mike Tomlin while playing U2's ode to Martin Luther King, "Pride (In the Name of Love)"... subtle.

- Tomlin tells Andrea Kremer, "The tape will tell the story. It doesn't matter what we say. It's about what we do." This is the kind of quote 'Burghers chisel into their lunchboxes. I love this guy already.

- Steelers Quiz: which nightmare-inducing QB of years past was Ben most like on his lame duck INT?
A) Cliff Stoudt
B) Mark Malone
C) Kent Graham
D) Bubby Brister
YOU MAKE THE CALL!

- The D swats at McNabb, prompting the wife to declare, "Splat. Take that, stupid Eagle." She's on the short list to replace Madden some day.

- Wow, a 14-yard punt. What round did we draft this kid in? Oh, the fourth. Super. We should have grabbed a crazy Australian giant, like the Eagles did.

- There's nothing like seeing the one-man offensive assault known as Dan Kreider rumble downfield... It's like watching a bull on ice skates.

- "Is Faneca rocking a fucking moustache? NICE!" Yes, the wife has found something else to be excited about.

- A great effort by Heath Miller wiped out by a bone-headed effort by Parker. Penalties, turnovers... Well, the tape is telling the story so far.

- Parker redeems himself with a TD run that I have to rewind 10 times on my Tivo to savor the complete beauty of it. Everyone picking up their blocks, Willie careening through them... Truly a majestic sight.

- Najeh turns a screen pass into a 33-yard gain. And they laughed at me when I picked him up in the 15th round of my fantasy draft. Yeah, I'm a homer... sue me.

- "The Eagles have nice helmets, until you realize that it's a big bird, and then it just seems kind of gay." And thus the network cools on the idea of putting giving the wife a mic on live TV.

- Are the Eagles really trying to ice the kicker in a preseason game? I'd call it moronic if it hadn't almost worked. Even I am not enough of a homer to put Reed on my fantasy roster.

- Wait, who's that guy in the end zone? Kevan Barlow? Where's he been hiding?

First roster cuts coming today, with the final wave coming Saturday. Most interesting moves should be at RB, where Barlow, Davenport, Carey Davis, Verron Haynes, Gary Russell, John Kuhn, and Larry Croom are all vying for a spot on the roster behind Parker. Again, I vote for the return of Frank Pollard.

2 comments:

Bridget. said...

I said it once and I will say it again:
NEVER listen to anything John Madden says about the Steelers. He hates them. He rarely has a positive comment to make and even when we were sixth seed and racing towards Detroit, he was doubting us every step of the way. He is what we in the hood like to call a "hater" (also spelled, hata or even hayta).

And if we're talking new facial hair, I'd like to bring up the most obvious and ragingly sexiest: Polamalu, making him by far the hairest NFL player in the league.

Anonymous said...

how's life ? meanrob.blogspot.com owner discovered your blog via Google but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have discovered site which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your site http://mass-backlinks.com they claim they managed to get close to 4000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my blog. Hope this helps :) They offer best services to increase website traffic at this website http://mass-backlinks.com